Thursday, June 17, 2010

Escape from Alcatraz!

Okay, so it really isn't that hard to leave Alcatraz these days, but it was fun to go there. While I lived in the Bay Area, I always planned to go and visit Alcatraz. Somehow I never got around to going... Anyway on a recent trip to Cali I finally got around to going there. It was a beautiful day to go as it was sunny and there wasn't even a hint of fog. While it was gorgeous it was still really windy, so I was still grateful that I had a hoodie, or else I would have frozen! It was enjoyable to walk around and learn more about the history of Alcatraz. Recently it has become more of a wildlife sanctuary, so parts of the island where closed off to all for nesting birds. There is also a lot of plants and gardens, which make the island very beautiful. The prison block also has an interesting self guided tour, which I enjoyed as I could go at my own pace. Being the geek I am, I was surprised that they had a small library on Alcatraz. That is one job that I would never want to have. I know even today there are libraries is many of the prisons across the US and I am grateful to all who are willing to work in them. I am sure they can be a wonderful job, but I don't think I could handle it! Overall I had a great trip and was glad I had such beautiful weather while I was there.

1 comment:

Papasan said...

I definitely rule out working in a prison library. Ever. I think it's good for inmates that such libraries exist - a portal to the outside world and an education - but I wouldn't want to be the one working there.