Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween!

I had to work at my internship site this Halloween, which really wasn't that bad because the library closed at 6 pm. I did discover a week or so before Halloween that all of the youth services librarians were going to dress up on Halloween. I decided that I would as well and as I had made a Slytherin scarf not that long ago, I went about making a Hogwarts costume. Most of the clothing was stuff that I already had around, but I knew that it would look better if I had a tie and wand. The wand was easy, I picked it up at a local costume shop. The tie not so easy. I knew you could buy Hogwarts ties online, but didn't have the time, or money, to buy one. I decided to make my own tie decorating a store bought tie. First I thought I would just buy ribbon to create the stripe pattern, but while I could find a gray tie that was the right color, I couldn't find dark green ribbion. Instead of using ribbion, I decided to paint the stripes on, as I could find some cheap acrylic paint that was the right color. So using a $10 tie and $1.50 paint, I made a Slytherin tie. While it isn't perfect, it was good enjoy for the job. For the most part people recognized me, but there was one kid who asked me if I was going to dress up later that day.... not realizing that I was wearing a costume. Ah well.... it was a teenage boy. I doubt he has even seen a Harry Potter movie.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

WHY SLYTHERIN? Ewww.... I never could understand you rebel types.

jared and mary 2 said...

Very nice.

Marydalene had about the same level of recognition in her getup. Most people got it, but a few didn't.